CHILD PREDATOR UNIT
The mission of the FBI Innocent Images Initiative is to:
- Identify, investigate, and prosecute sexual predators who use the
- Internet and other online services to sexually exploit children.
- Establish a law enforcement presence on the Internet as deterrent
- to subjects that exploit children.
- Identify and rescue willing and unwilling child victims.
The FBI’s Innocent Images National Initiative specifically focuses on:
- Those persons who indicate a willingness to travel interstate for
- the purpose of engaging in sexual activity with a minor.
- Major producers and/or distributors of child pornography.
To proactively combat this crime problem, undercover operations
are being conducted in FBI field offices by task forces that combine
the resources of FBI with other Federal, state, and local law enforcement agencies.
Innocent Images Investigations involve:
- Internet websites that post child pornography
- Chat rooms
- Internet New Groups
- Internet Relay Chat Channels
- File Servers, Peer to Peer Networks
- Bulletin Board Systems
FBI Agents and task force officers go online undercover using fictitious screen names and engaging in real-time chat or E-mail conversations with subjects to obtain evidence of criminal activity.