General information


OFFICE HOURS: M – F, 8:00 to 4:30
PHONE: (570) 348-4193
FAX: (570) 348-4171

Code Announcements:

Effective April 15, 2010 the City of Scranton, per the Uniform Construction Code Act 45, will be enforcing the next edition of the ICC, which is the 2009 ICC Series.

This series includes the following codes:

2009 International Property Maintenance Code
2009 International Residential Code
2009 International Building Code
2009 International Existing Building Code
2009 International Plumbing Code
2009 International Mechanical Code
2009 International Fire Code
2009 International Energy Code
2009 International Fuel Gas Code
2008 National Electric Code

Please note that any project contract signed after April 15, 2010, is to be designed and constructed under the above-mentioned codes.  Be sure to update your code books and references and feel free to contact the Department of Licensing, Inspections and Permits with any questions regarding this matter.

Licenses & permits:

Does my dog need a license?
Yes, If you are a resident of the City of Scranton, your dog must be licensed. The fee is $35.00. Senior Citizen fee $ 20.00 (65 and over) cash or check made payable to the City of Scranton. Date of rabies shot given and expiration date, along with the rabies tag number is required. Dog licenses expire each December.

Which work requires a permit?
Almost everything. Contact this office before any work is started.

Which work does not require a permit?
Painting inside/outside of homes and gutter installation do not require permits.

How much does a permit cost?
It depends on the cost of the materials / labor. See our fee schedule which is available on-line.

Must a contractor doing work on my home be licensed within the City of Scranton?
Yes. Contact this office to verify current license.

Who should pull a permit?
If the homeowner is doing the work, then the homeowner is allowed to pull the permit. If a contractor is doing the work,
then the contractor must pull the permit.

For a contractor, is a copy of the contract between contractor and homeowner required?
Yes. A copy of the contract must be submitted with the permit application.

How long does it take to process a permit?
One to two business days. Exceptions may occur.

I've rented a dumpster. Do I need a permit? What is the cost?
Yes. a dumpster permit is required if the dumpster is on the street. The cost is $10.00 per day.

Which contractor licenses require testing?

Home improvement, general contracting, plumbing, journeyman and master, electrical, journeyman and master, boiler
and mechanical, journeyman and master, require testing. Testing is done twice a year once in April and once in October. Applications are available approximately 2 months prior.

How much does a license cost?
$250.00 per year for an active license. Inactive licenses are $150.00. A journeyman’s license is $50.00 and apprentice is $20.00.
Note: only active license holders can pull permits.

Is proof of insurance required for a license?
Yes. A certificate of insurance is required for all licenses.

Should I report work being done without a permit?
Yes. Document the time and work being done along with the exact address. Contacting this office while work is being done will result in more immediate action.

Is a certificate of occupancy required for new business construction? What is the cost?
Yes. All construction of new business requires a certificate. The cost is $350.00.

Is a certificate of occupancy required for new home construction? What is the cost?
Yes. All new home construction requires a certificate of occupancy. The cost is $250.00.

Is the application for the certificate of occupancy available on-line?
Yes. It is available for download in .pdf format by Clicking Here.

What type of work requires plan submittals?
Any and all commercial and residential extensions or expansions and all new construction require plan submittal.


What are the setbacks for swimming pools?
8 feet is the required setback. Affidavits are available on-line if your neighbor agrees for you to construct it less than 8 feet
(see section 403.14 of zoning ordinance, page 4-36)

Is a fence required for a pool?
Yes. A 4 ft fence is required.

What is the setback for fences (other than fences for pools)?
Fences can be constructed on the lot line. (See Section 403.5.d of the Zoning Ordinance, pages 4-30 to 4-31)
6 ½ feet in rear / 4 feet in front yard

What are the setbacks for the construction of decks/sheds?
Setbacks are 5 feet. Affidavits are available if your neighbor agrees for you to construct it less than 5 feet.
(see pages 3-20 through 3-25 of the zoning ordinance)